From: Philip Leonard <leolists@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Software Compilation
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:36:34
Gary wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Paul Heinlein wrote: > >> Aside from the previously mentioned lockups with 2.6 kernels, Gentoo >> Linux has for me been a far better working environment than any other >> OS I've loaded on my SPARC: Solaris, Debian, and OpenBSD. It's stable >> to the point of boring. :-) > > > Isn't that the truth. I log in once a week (or sooner if a security > advisory gets posted) and run an 'emerge sync' and 'emerge system'. > > *yawn* > > The SPARCs really love Gentoo, they just run and run and run... > > My next project will be move an e250 and an e450 to Gentoo... then those > boxes will be boring too. :-)
I'm certainly jealous. My E4500 will only run a couple of days before it hangs requiring a reboot. Sometimes it will still respond to pings but that's all. Never any console messages, just a hung box. On my uniprocessor sparc's (U5 and U30) is is very stable but not on the E4500 with 8 CPU's. It is running Gentoo with a 2.4 kernel (2.4.31 at the moment). Philip -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list