From: Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] ALSA support on sparc
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 07:47:29
Until recently alsa support on sparc64 was impossible because of bugs in
the snd-ioctl32 module which would lockup the system.  These have been
corrected in media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.7 and
sys-kernel/gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r15.

If you would like to start using alsa and help test it out, I urge you
so switch to the default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2004.3/alsa profile,
install the new kernel (or just emerge alsa-driver) and give it a go.
You should also run 'emerge -uvD --newuse world' to make sure packages
with optional alsa support get re-emerged.

A word of caution, if you put the alsasound init script in your default
runlevel and try to go back to a kernel with a bad snd-ioctl32, your
system will lockup when it tries to restore mixer levels.  the alsa
profile package.masks bad kernels, so if in doubt, if you can emerge it,
it's safe... also, emerging alsa-driver over a broken kernel will result
in a safe environment... but gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r15 has 4 security
fixes over -r14 in addition to the alsa fix, so I'd recommend grabbing
it.

gustavoz was trying earlier to get alsa-driver to emerge with
sys-kernel/sparc-sources, but there seem to be some build problems that
will hopefully be fixed soon with 2.4 kernels (patches appreciated)...
hopefully he or I will get it sorted out soon.

Please post any comments/bugs to bugzilla.  I've noticed that some more
obscure IOCTL don't yet work (errors reported, not lockups... don't
worry), so please keep me honest by filing bug reports.

I've also been having some trouble with the oss compat modules, so I'll
be looking into that soon as well... oh well, you fix something and
break something else...

--
Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o>