From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: bertrand <joel.bertrand@××××××××.fr>
Cc: sparclinux@×××××××××××.org, Gentoo Sparc <gentoo-sparc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] Re: [Repost] Ultra2 SMP freezes with heavy disk I/O
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:41:43
On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 10:53 +0100, bertrand wrote:
--- snip ---
I have 2 U2's; U2(2x300), U2(2x400). The SMP doesn't matter, though; U2 with 2.6.x will freeze eventually even if a uniprocessor. SMP just lets it fail more quickly. Problem is believed to be SCSI or Sbus, I think, but I don't know that anyone is sure. The kernel people have known about this for well over a year, but no fix. For more current information, you might ask squash@g.o or weeve@g.o --- I haven't tried 2.6 on U2 for a while because no one has claimed to have a fix for this problem. (Gentoo spent a lot of time on this freeze a few months ago, but no satisfaction. I am sure, though, that we ruled out SMP as the problem.)
Regards, -- Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o> Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)