From: Martin Andersen <martin.andersen@××××.org>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] Problem booting SPARC64 installcd on Blade2500 systems
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 09:20:02
Hi,

I'm trying to get the latest 2006.1 Sparc Universal bootcd (downloaded
yesterday) to run on some Blade2500 machines, without much success. I've tried
the Silver & Non-Silver models, and both the provided kernels (2.6.16 & 2.6.17)

Some basic info regarding the specs (a prtdiag -v is also attached) --

OpenBoot v4.17.1
4096 Mb RAM
XVR-1200 GFX module (SUNW,375-3101)
Dual UltraSPARC IIIi 1280 Mhz CPUs
Broadcom NIC (bge0 in Solaris)

Some have both a XVR-1200 and a XVR-100 module installed (I've tested on both)
The problem however seems to be related to the initial ramdisk --

<..begin BootPROM output..>

	ERROR: Last Trap: Illegal Instruction

Error -256

	ERROR: Last Trap: Memory Address not Aligned

<..end BootPROM output..>

And then it throws you back to the ok prompt.  Any suggestions?  I'll be happy
to test any experimental livecd's and/or possible BootPROM fixes (env. settings,
disabling mem, etc.) I didn't do an asr-disable, as the previous problems seemed
to have to do with having more than 4Gb mem, which isn't the issue here.

Regards,

--
-=-=- Martin Andersen =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- EMail: martin.andersen@××××.org =-=-=-=-
-=-=- Cellphone:   +47  906 45 948 -=- http://www.ementor.no =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-