From: Alex Buell <alex.buell@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Why is a simple hello world in 64 bit assembly program 65k bytes long?
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 22:52:39
On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 09:12:43 +1100, I waved a wand and this message
magically appears in front of Hamish Greig:

> Have you tried a 32-bit program to see if it is the bits or the code ? > Have you tried a 32-bit and 64-bit simple c program to see if it is > an assembly problem and not a 64-bit problem ?
I did compile a 32 bit version of the same code; it was just 1k. I think it might be pulling in unnecessary stuff.
> I understand you are an experienced programmer and might have already > tried these things, I ask only because you don't mention any details > of having investigated the problem prior to emailing the list. > You would problably have more replies on the binutils or gcc lists, > although without evidence that you have investigated the problem > somewhat, they might also not respond, not knowing what technical > level of response you will understand.
Yeah, thanks, I will ask on the more specific Sparc mailing lists rather than the Gentoo lists. The reason why I ask is because I want to help to get 64bit userland upand running on my Ultra 2, I was thinking along the lines of having a mix of 32bit and 64bit userland stuff. -- http://www.munted.org.uk Fearsome grindings. -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list