From: "David F. Newman" <dnewman@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo Sparc <gentoo-sparc@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] mirrored root silo problems
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:35:46
On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 19:56, Jason Wever wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:44:48 -0400 > "David F. Newman" <dnewman@×××××.com> wrote: > > > > I should point out that I have also tried root=/dev/sda1. Also I do not > > have a separate /boot partition. > > It's been a while since I've played with this, but if I recall correctly, > you will need a partition that isn't part of the raid. In particular, the > second.b file will need to live there as well as your silo.conf as SILO > cannot comprehend RAID setups at that stage of it's loading.
Bingo. That was it. It took a little while using the liveCD to break the mirrors, repartition, dump/restore, reboot on new partition layout, create new mirrors, reboot on new mirror, hotadd other mirror, but it's working good now. Having non-raided /boot partitions seems less than ideal, but it works and that's all I care about. Thanks. -Dave