From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: kjones@×××××××.net
Cc: Gentoo Sparc <gentoo-sparc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] Re: Ferris, I am switching to email.
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:39:35
On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 12:18 -0400, ken jones wrote:
> Ferris, > re: GENTOO FORUMS; kjones > > You wrote,"Please join #gentoo-sparc on freenode IRC channel; someone > else is going to have to help with this, too, because I am just not > seeing it." > > I went to my Widows XP system and found: > "Java IRC Webchat freenode > IRC Server: irc.freenode.net:6667 IRC Channel: #gentoo-sparc" > > It brings up what I believe is a JAVA driven window. Red outline. List > of present participants. Public and Private select buttons. A single > line into which I can type. > > All I see are people signing in and out. No meaningful discussions of > anything. I am confused. >
Often that's all you will see. Activity is sporadic. Besides me, others marked as present and as channel operators should be able to help. Just try saying something --- if you see what you said. I keep repeating this, but don't understand your problem: You MUST get a clean install of emerge eselect emerge eselect-opengl emerge glproto If those fail, something quite unusual is going on with your system. Make sure you have USE="X opengl dri" set someplace. You can try emerge -C eselect eselect-opengl glproto mesa to recover. Once those are installed, then emerge mesa should "just work" assuming your VIDEO_CARDS= xxx is set correctly in /etc/make.conf. For example, on my systems, I need the Creator/Elite video driver, and have VIDEO_CARDS='dummy fbdev sunffb' (sunffb is the driver for Creator and Elite frame buffers). (Actually, after that 'emerge -C ...' just 'emerge mesa' should bring in everything you need. To make sure, see what 'emerge -pv mesa' tells you.)
Sorry I can't really address your problem. You can ask gustavoz if anyone else has had any problems with 'emerge mesa' --- I haven't heard of any. Regards, -- Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o> Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)