From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: kjones@×××××××.net
Cc: Gentoo Sparc <gentoo-sparc@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] Re: Ferris, I am switching to email.
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 16:39:35
1 On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 12:18 -0400, ken jones wrote:
2 > Ferris,
3 > re: GENTOO FORUMS; kjones
4 >
5 > You wrote,"Please join #gentoo-sparc on freenode IRC channel; someone
6 > else is going to have to help with this, too, because I am just not
7 > seeing it."
8 >
9 > I went to my Widows XP system and found:
10 > "Java IRC Webchat freenode
11 > IRC Server: irc.freenode.net:6667 IRC Channel: #gentoo-sparc"
12 >
13 > It brings up what I believe is a JAVA driven window. Red outline. List
14 > of present participants. Public and Private select buttons. A single
15 > line into which I can type.
16 >
17 > All I see are people signing in and out. No meaningful discussions of
18 > anything. I am confused.
19 >
20 Often that's all you will see. Activity is sporadic. Besides me,
21 others marked as present and as channel operators should be able to
22 help. Just try saying something --- if you see what you said.
23
24 I keep repeating this, but don't understand your problem:
25
26 You MUST get a clean install of
27 emerge eselect
28 emerge eselect-opengl
29 emerge glproto
30
31 If those fail, something quite unusual is going on with your system.
32 Make sure you have USE="X opengl dri" set someplace. You can try
33 emerge -C eselect eselect-opengl glproto mesa
34 to recover.
35 Once those are installed, then
36 emerge mesa
37 should "just work" assuming your VIDEO_CARDS= xxx is set correctly
38 in /etc/make.conf. For example, on my systems, I need the Creator/Elite
39 video driver, and have
40 VIDEO_CARDS='dummy fbdev sunffb'
41 (sunffb is the driver for Creator and Elite frame buffers).
42
43 (Actually, after that 'emerge -C ...' just 'emerge mesa' should bring in
44 everything you need. To make sure, see what 'emerge -pv mesa' tells
45 you.)
46 > My history with sparc is two machines that I rescued from dumpsters.
47 > One I have been running with Aurora since 2004. The other I got this
48 > spring on which I tried to run Gentoo 2006.
49 >
50 > I am tempted to blow away everything on the hard drives, boot again
51 > from my installation disk and start all over. I hesitate because it has
52 > been very difficult to get as far as I am. All I want is X11. I do not
53 > even need a fancy manager.
54 >
55 > If I can not make any better sense of 'Java IRC Webchat freenode' I
56 > shall do just that.
57 >
58 > Thank you again and again.
59 >
60 > Ken Jones
63 Sorry I can't really address your problem. You can ask gustavoz if
64 anyone else has had any problems with 'emerge mesa' --- I haven't heard
65 of any.
66
67 Regards,
68 --
69 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
70 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)