From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] GWN "Want ad" for sparc architecture testers
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:49:05
1 On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 08:16 +0100, Alex Buell wrote:
2 > On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:49:10 +0000, I waved a wand and this message
3 > magically appears in front of Ferris McCormick:
4 >
5 > > > As for there being a lack of a Java VM on sparc, if anyone's
6 > > > working on porting Sun's JVM, I can help with testing the builds.
7 > >
8 > > Supposedly, this is very hard to hopeless (according to sun). There
9 > > are more promising alternatives, such as jamvm or perhaps cacao. I
10 > > have played a bit with jamvm, and I think it could be made to work.
11 > > It's mostly a matter of figuring out what order the arguments to a
12 > > couple macros which are used for test-and-swap are given, and making
13 > > a few memcopy macros work right. I've had it running; just not quite
14 > > correctly.
15 >
16 > I thknk gcj could do the job just as well. It can compile to bytecode.
17 >
18 jamvm is a java machine, not a compiler.
19
20 > > jamvm (or something like it) would make a very nice project. Sun java
21 > > would probably not (I think sun have it on their to-do list, but
22 > > considered long-term and difficult).
23 >
24 > I think it's enormously vital that Sun get off their butts and do
25 > something about it - porting the linuxintel version to linuxsparc
26 > should work. I've actually dug around in the jvm sources and they do
27 > have some assembly in various places. These would have to be rewritten
28 > for the sparc platform.
29 >
30 Interesting. Do you think it would be easier to port from linux intel
31 than from solaris/sparc? That might make a lot of sense.
32
33 (Depending on how much assembly code there is, and whether anyone can
34 read it. How much is needed outside, perhaps, the atomic operations
35 like atomic_add or test_and_set?)
36
37 > > If you want to be an AT, please set it up with jmbsvicetto or with me;
38 > > it's mostly a matter of getting you through the ebuild quiz.
39 >
40 > Thanks
41 > Alex
42 > --
43 > http://www.munted.org.uk
44 >
45 > Fearsome grindings.
46
47 Thanks and regards,
48 --
49 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
50 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)