From: Chris Russell <cjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Keyboard-related problems
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 01:39:26
Eduardo, since you've installed from GRP I'll assume you are running
xfree, not xorg.  The likely cause(s) of your problem are;
 1. incorrect keymap specified in /etc/rc.conf
 2. incorrect keymap specified in /etc/X11/XF86Config

the system keymap (defined in rc.conf) depends on your kernel version,
for kernel 2.4 you would probably use sunkeymap but for kernel 2.6
things changed and you should specify a differnet keymap. (ref:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm/docs/sparc-2.6.x/#keymaps )

for xfree, this is what I used with my us layout type-5 keyboard and
kernel 2.4
----
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"XkbModel"    "sun"
	Option		"XkbCompat"   "compat/complete"
	Option		"XkbTypes"    "types/complete"
	Option		"XkbKeycodes" "sun(type5)"
	Option		"XkbGeometry" "sun(type5unix)"
	Option		"XkbSymbols"  "sun/us(sun5)"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option      "Protocol" "busmouse"
	Option      "Device" "/dev/sunmouse"
EndSection
----
(ref: http://dev.gentoo.org/~cjr/configs/XF86Config_ultra5-3d-rage-gt )

for kernel 2.6 I'm not so sure as I switched to xorg as well but I'm sure someone else could comment.

please post back to the list any results / more questions
cheers,
Chris.