From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] a question regarding using promise PDC 20262 ide card on Ultra 5 as boot device
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:49:48
Hello. I (by surprise) find that my Ultra 5 uses a standard 40-pin IDE
cable, and the on-board connector seems to be only a standard IDE
connector, thus, my harddisk, being able to run ATA66, is only working
in very slow standard IDE mode.

I have a Promise PCD 20262 IDE card. I pluged it into the Ultra 5
(standard PCI slot). Now this card could be detected and configured by
my old Gentoo installation. Next, I wish to plug the hdd on the IDE
card. Now comes two problems.

1. How to install Gentoo. spacr64 2004.3 livecd compiled PDC drive as
module, I don't know why: simply "modprobe pdc202xx_old" would load the
module but gives a error message "Killed" and device is not detected.
*But*, compile pdc202xx_old into kernel is okay, the device is correctly
detected. This way, I could not use livecd to install boot system onto
the hdd on the IDE card.

2. How to boot from the hdd on the card. I just learnt to use 'boot
cdrom' on OBP to boot from CDROM, but yet is it possible to boot from
the hdd on the card? If this is not possible, perhaps I need to prepare
a boot floppy to bring up the OS (on hdd)?

Thank you for your help .