From: Alex McWhirter <alexmcwhirter@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] Pure SPARC64 Port (Was Re: Sparc64 OpenSSL)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 15:58:06
1 On 01/18/2016 06:49 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > correct -- we will want to add ABI flags for sparc32/sparc64 like we have
3 > for ppc32/ppc64 and s390/s390x and such. just grep for "abi_s390_32" in
4 > the tree to see what kind of setup we'd need.
5 >
6 > then it's simply a matter of masking out the few odd packages that do not
7 > work in a 64-bit env via the profile's package.mask file.
8 Just finished that up this morning. I was under the impression that
9 packages had to consume use flags in order for them to be applied. Thats
10 probably true for normal flags, but the ABI flags seem to different. I
11 also setup an ABI_SPARC use expand.
12 > the x86/amd64 way seems fine to me. in a multilib setup, they can build
13 > the 32-bit version directly. in a non-multilib setup, there's the static
14 > grub ebuild. so we can also add a silo-static that is simply built using
15 > the latest silo-from-source.
16 >
17 > keep in mind though that the toolchain is biarch. that means a sparc32
18 > userland can produce sparc64 object code even if it doesn't have any of
19 > the 64-bit libraries/headers. same goes for sparc64 userland and sparc32
20 > code. the reason this matters is that (afaik) most of the silo package
21 > is the /boot/*.b files which need to be 32-bit. but the silo program can
22 > still be 64-bit, or at least i assume we can make it work. so even under
23 > a pure 64-bit (and no multilib) system, we might be able to build silo as
24 > we use -m32 to compile the *.b files.
25 >
26 > this is also how you can build a 64-bit linux kernel image using a 32-bit
27 > toolchain. the kernel will add -m64 everywhere for you.
28 > -mike
29 SILO also has a few dependencies, which i've just gone ahead and set to
30 compile to multilib on all sparc64 profiles. If anyone wants to track
31 the status of this i have a fork of the portage tree on my github.
32 https://github.com/TriadicTek/TriOS
33
34 The new profile structure symlinks to the old profile structure as well
35 the the experimental multilib profile. Anyone currently using the sparc
36 port should be able to migrate to it without any issues.
37
38 So far i have successfully built stage1's for sparc32, sparc32-multilib,
39 sparc64, and sparc64-multilib. Working on stage2's now.