From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] what ultrasparc compare likely such Pentium box on desktop performance
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:11:14
Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Andrew Gaffney wrote: > >> Zhang Weiwu wrote: >> >>> Hello. After I get an old U5 box, I decide to replace my desktop >>> computer with another UltraSparc. My desktop computer is Pentium 1G / >>> 256MB memory / ATA100 IDE box. >>> >>> What UltraSparc (with how many of what CPU) has similiar average >>> desktop performance as my Pentium box? I usually only browsing >>> around, use openoffice and gimp a little, vim as editor and doesn't >>> use huge IDE like eclipse. What's your suggestion? >> >> This is just a guess, but an Ultra 2 with dual 300s or 400s is >> probably going to be pretty close in performance. >> > A small test showed very disapointing result. (This is not a desktop > performace test, only I play with it) > > I tried to compare my Ultra 5 ( 333MHz single CPU / ATA66 IDE / 256 MB ) > with Celeron 600 MHz box ( ATA 66, 256MB memory). My test is to > calculate the complecity of Linux kernel code. > (command line: # sloccount /usr/src/linux-sparc-2.4.27/ ) > > On U5 it takes325 seconds, on Celeron it takes 257 seconds. They both > take almost same amount of kernel time, but U5 takes 210 seconds user > time, while Celeron only takes 76 seconds. > > To perform this task, Celeron used 79% of total time compare to U5. So I > think perhaps U5 does not perform better than Celeron 500MHz. This way, > I can hardly expect dual 300MHz would overperform Pentium 1G, especially > dual CPU (IMHO) does not help much with desktop thanks to that only a > few desktop applications use more than one process... > > Perhaps I am wrong in this small test?
Yes, a U2 is *not* a U5. The U5 and U10 were probably the crappiest Ultra machines that Sun put out. Also, the test was a little one-sided since the Celeron had almost twice the speed and an IDE chipset with working DMA :) A 2x300 U2 would "mop the floor" with the Celeron in that test. -- Andrew Gaffney Gentoo Linux Developer Installer Project -- gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list