From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] a question regarding using promise PDC 20262 ide card on Ultra 5 as boot device
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:17:49
1 Ferris McCormick wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
4 >
5 > >> Hello. I (by surprise) find that my Ultra 5 uses a standard 40-pin
6 > IDE cable, and the on-board connector seems to be only a standard IDE
7 > connector, thus, my harddisk, being able to run ATA66, is only working
8 > in very slow standard IDE mode.
9 > >>
10 > >>
11 > >> 2. How to boot from the hdd on the card. I just learnt to use 'boot
12 > cdrom' on OBP to boot from CDROM, but yet is it possible to boot from
13 > the hdd on the card? If this is not possible, perhaps I need to
14 > prepare a boot floppy to bring up the OS (on hdd)?
15 > >>
16 >
17 > This one I can sort of answer. The following process has worked for me
18 > on a U10 with an external drive:
19 >
20 Okay, I overcome the first problem by installing gentoo from an existing
21 hdd gentoo installation. I borrowed my friends' hdd for it.
22
23 > 1. At the 'ok' prompt, type in the command-- show-disks
24 > 2. It will show the disks and ask you to select the one you want.
25 > Select the external drive (They are labeled a, b, c, etc. You should
26 > see a & b; pick the one corresponding to your external drive. If it's
27 > not obvious from the disk name, by using brute force you can do this
28 > twice, once with the external drive on and once not.)
29 > 3. boot ^Y (Ctrl-Y), or 'devalias gentoo ^Y' and then 'boot gentoo'
30 >
31 Err. None of a, b, c could boot. I feel a bit wired, a) is cdrom, b) is
32 ide@3/disk but the hdd on IDE card should be ide5 (count from 1) or ide4
33 (count from 0)
34
35 > If this doesn't appeal, you can wait for someone who actually knows the
36 > easiest way to do this on a U5 & then do that.
37 >
38 > At some point, you probably want to go to
39 > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/216.1
40 > and grab some OpenBoot documentation.
41 >
42 > Somewhere on Sun's site is the answer to your exact question, but I
43 > haven't any idea where, anymore.
44 >
45 Is it possible at all to put the boot loader onto floppy like some
46 people did for their x86 box? I see the kernel is pretty big (3.6MB),
47 but squezze down it seems could reach 1.44MB.
48
49 > Something else you can do is go to the #gentoo-sparc FreeNode IRC
50 > channel and ask around there.
51
52 Yes, good idea:) In China Xiamen irc is blocked ;(
55 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list