From: Jim Watson <jim@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-sparc] GWN "Want ad" for sparc architecture testers
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:39:37
1 Alex Buell wrote
2 >
3 > I thknk gcj could do the job just as well. It can compile to bytecode.
6 with ecj it is good enough for OpenOffice.org anyway
7
8 >> jamvm (or something like it) would make a very nice project. Sun java
9 >> would probably not (I think sun have it on their to-do list, but
10 >> considered long-term and difficult).
13 > I think it's enormously vital that Sun get off their butts and do
14 > something about it - porting the linuxintel version to linuxsparc
15 > should work. I've actually dug around in the jvm sources and they do
16 > have some assembly in various places. These would have to be rewritten
17 > for the sparc platform.
18 >
19 blackdown (jk) ported sun 1.5 for sparc and it would run fine, I built
20 and used it here, but there was some apparently random signal error that
21 has blocked it being released...
22
23 jim
24 --