From: "Benjamen R. Meyer" <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] Booting the system...
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:57:23
I got the system installed, and everything seems to be okay with three
exceptions:

1) I have to run "boot disk1:1" at the PROM prompt to get the system to
boot. I assume I can set that into the PROM, just like I set the cdrom
to be what is boot, no? If not, how do I resolve that? FYI - In case it
matters, I did accidentally delete the #3 partition during the
partitioning, but recreated it using the 's' command in fdisk.

2) Just before #3 happens, I notice a message from the kernel stating it
can't find the initrd image located in /boot - generated by genkernel. I
didn't setup a _separate_ boot partition, but that shouldn't be an issue
for SILO should it?

3) The system loads the kernel, which runs a little, then switches vid
modes and blanks - it doesn't return to the screen like the 2007.0 2617
does when the atyfb is not disabled, it just blanks, and dies per #2.
Using 'video=atyfb:off' resolves this and reveals the messages. I'd
really like to be able to not have to use 'atyfb:off' as it really hurts
the eyes the way it reprints the screen all the time for the littlest
line movement. Any recommendations? (I could live with it if I
absolutely had to.)

FYI - after #3 the system completely hangs, and despite the message
about STOP+A, it doesn't work until I completely cycle the power the
system - no return to the PROM; the soft-power button _does_ work for this.

TIA,

Ben