From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Cc: x11@g.o, solar@g.o, koon@g.o, spyderous@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1 targeted for stable, 6.7.0-r2 = false alarm, Bugs 64152, 63994
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:17:27

Daily xorg-x11 scare notice; as always, review referenced bugs for
details.

Thanks to help from spyderous, xorg-x11-6.8.0-r1 is now ~sparc for
testing.  It (or 6.7.0-r2) is needed to address the security issue
raised in Bug 64152.

I originally said that when this happened, it would be 6.7.0-r2 to
go stable.  After consultation and cogitation, we believe that just
proceeding to 6.8.0-r1 directly from 6.7.0-r1 is the more sensible
course:

6.8.0-r1 actually has had much more testing than 6.7.0-r2 could
possibly had, and all results I am aware of have been positive.

The only drawbacks I am aware of are:
1. There are a few minor incompatibilities between xorg.conf for
    the two releases.  See previously mentioned document at
http://dev.gentoo.org/~fmccor/files/xorg-x11-6.7.99.903-build_notes.txt,
    status tracking bugs, and so on if you haven't yet.
2. If you are using Creator (ffb, ffb2, ffb2+) graphics and libGL, you
    might need to set the environment variable
    LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT="yes" (or to anything else, for that matter).
    Again, the reasons for this, current status, etc. are documented all
    over the place by now, or discuss it with me on IRC.

Time frame?  By Monday, 27 Sept. unless testing before then turns up
a show stopper. (Some of this testing is scheduled for Friday or
Saturday).

If you have concerns, current 6.8.0-r1 in portage is what we are
going to use, and it is ~sparc --- please feel free to test it
and comment at Bug 63994 if appropriate.

Regards,

- --
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc)