From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
Cc: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-sparc] [SOLVED in a nasty way] Re: [gentoo-sparc] a question regarding using promise PDC 20262 ide card on Ultra 5 as boot device
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:06:34
1 The original question:
2 I raise is because I brought an old U5 box, and noticed the box use a
3 standard IDE slot, so the only HDD I installed (ATA66) could not perform
4 maximum. Thus, I installed another Promise PDC 20262 IDE expension (or
5 extending, I am not sure of the English) card and moved the HDD to that
6 card.
7
8 The problem is, as later pointed out by Keith M Wesolowski, U5 OBP could
9 not boot from external IDE device. This way I need to find a way to boot
10 up the box. Ferris McCormick helped me a lot in finding where is the
11 problem with his professional skill.
12
13 The final way to solve the problem: I installed a small HDD onto the IDE
14 slot on the mother board, installed SILO on it, let it boot up the OS
15 installed on the external IDE slot.
16
17 I tried to boot from floppy and failed. Here is how I failed in every
18 attempt:
19
20 > After lots of work to shink kernel down to 1.2MB and teste the kernel
21 > is bootable, according to silo(1), these steps should create bootable
22 > floppy:
23 >
24 > genromfs -d directory/ -f device -a 512 -A 2048,/..
25 > mount -t romfs device mountpoint
26 > silo -r mountpoint -i /boot/fd.b -F
27 > umount mountpoint
28 >
29 > This is what I did: (the first fdisk operation is not necessary
30 > according to my knowledge, but I did it just to make sure)
31 >
32 > root # fdisk /dev/fd0
33 >
34 > Command (m for help): s
35 > Building a new sun disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
36 > until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
37 > content won't be recoverable.
40 > Command (m for help): w
41 > The partition table has been altered!
42 >
43 > Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
44 >
45 > WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 22: Invalid
46 > argument.
47 > The kernel still uses the old table.
48 > The new table will be used at the next reboot.
49 > Syncing disks.
50 >
51 > root # genromfs -d /boot/ -f /dev/fd0 -a 512 -A 2048,/..
52 >
53 > root # mount -t romfs /dev/fd0 /boot
54 > root # silo -r /boot -i /boot/fd.b -F
55 > silo.conf seems to be valid
56 >
57 > root # umount /boot
58 >
59 > And start the computer:
60 >
61 > [Enter OBP]
62 > ok boot floppy
63 > Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1,1/ebus@1/fdthree File and args:
64 > Bad magic number in disk label
65 > Can't open disk label package
66 >
67 > Can't open boot device
68
69 > I created a sparc boot floppy image using dd(1) with the image I got
70 > from:
71 >
72 > http://mirror.israel.net/pub/redhat/linux/4.2/en/os/sparc/images/boot.img
73 >
74 > This image, said should be able to boot, still produce the above error
75 > in OBP. I also googled around, lots of people are asking the same
76 > question (why cannot boot from floppy) and given no satisfying answer.
77 > Perhaps this is an UltraSparc natual problem.
83 gentoo-sparc@g.o mailing list