From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-trustees] Gentoo Foundation Charter
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 07:20:57
1 Hi all,
2
3 There are a couple of chapters that I'm already thinking about before going
4 further. Those chapters are:
5 - About this document
6 - Why a Gentoo Foundation
7 - Principles of the Gentoo Foundation
8 - Tasks of the Gentoo Foundation
9
10 A small description is probably in place :)
11
12 With "About this document" I would try to describe to the user what this
13 document is about. It's like an outline for the rest of the document.
14
15 "Why a Gentoo Foundation" talks about the progress Gentoo has made, the
16 incorporated technologies and code that has grown since the beginning of
17 it's existence, about the accumulated knowledge that we have inside and the
18 community that keeps a high-demand wrt Gentoo's progress.
19
20 It will also talk a bit about the coordination of Gentoo (through the
21 coordinators/managers) and the community feedback that is of the most
22 importance for a project such as Gentoo.
23
24 It outlines the reason for a Gentoo Foundation:
25 - Decoupling necessary bureaucracy from development
26 * Financial (donations)
27 * Juridical (licenses, copyrights, trademarks, ...)
28 * Caretaking (adherence to the social contract)
29 - Mission Statement
30 * Protect the use of the Gentoo trademark and logo
31 * Protect the developed code, documentation, artwork and other
32 material through copyright/licenses
33 * Sponsor Gentoo-related conferences and technical development
34 * Oversee development so it adheres to the social contract
35
36 The "Principles of the Gentoo Foundation" would describe four pillars that
37 the Gentoo Foundation keeps in mind:
38 1. Gentoo provides choices
39 2. Gentoo is open
40 3. Gentoo lives for the community, by the community
41 4. Gentoo is independent
42
43 With "independent" I mean that Gentoo will be reigned by a company nor
44 be dictated by an organisation.
45
46 In "Tasks of the Gentoo Foundation" I would place the real tasks (which we
47 still need to discuss properly):
48 * Intellectual Property protection
49 * Support for the Gentoo Development (hardware, financial, ...)
50 * Oversee adherance to the social contract
51 * Corporate/Organisational point of contact
52 * Keep definition of a "Gentoo Developer"
53
54 Does this integrate well with the thoughts you have about the Gentoo
55 Foundation? Feedback is appreciated.
56
57 Wkr,
58 Sven Vermeulen
61 Bent Hindrup Andersen, Danish MEP, about the Software Patent Directive:
62 The approach of the Commission and Council in this directive is shocking.
63 They are making full use of all the possibilities of evading democracy that
64 the current Community Law provides. <http://lwn.net/Articles/84009/>