From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-trustees@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-trustees] donations to gentoo via store
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 00:28:02
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I think it's time for the Gentoo Store to start forwarding donations to the
4 Foundation rather than keeping them over here. Some reasons why this would
5 be a good thing to start doing now:
6
7 * The Foundation should have a bank account soon. In the mean time, the
8 Store can keep a running total of the donations and set these aside in a
9 separate account.
10
11 * My mother is helping me with the store so we now have the resources I
12 need to track these donations and get checks out to the Foundation on a
13 regular basis. I also have a new and improved accountant who can guide us
14 through the proper procedure for reporting these transfers of funds to the
15 IRS.
16
17 * For a while after I left the project, the majority of donations were
18 intended for me, so I could justify keeping them on the Store side. For the
19 past several months, the majority of the people donating money did so with
20 the intention that it would go directly to the project, so we should make
21 sure that it goes there.
22
23 * A week ago, my wife and I moved into a new home. From the proceeds of the
24 sale of our old home, we are now no longer in debt (ignoring house and car
25 payment debt.) Who'd have thought that I would have gotten out of debt from
26 real estate?
27
28 In the future, I would like to send a decent portion of profits from the
29 Store to the Foundation, but this will need to wait until I have steady
30 employment, which will hopefully be soon. This should gradually make up for
31 past donations that should have gone to the Foundation. I am hoping to be
32 able to send a minimum of $6000 per year, not including any donations we
33 receive.
34
35 In the next day or two, we will work through the accounting-related issues
36 on our side and start placing all donated funds in a separate "for the
37 Foundation" account. Will keep you posted.
38
39 Regards,
40
41 Daniel