On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 14:24 -0500, Grant Goodyear wrote:
> Could you check with our lawyers what it is that we actually need to
> do to protect the Gentoo® trademark? One question is do we need to add
> the ® mark to all of our ebuilds in our Copyright statement? The other
> (at least at the moment) is if there are things that we have to be
> careful not to refer to as "Gentoo foo"? Presumably Gentoo Linux,
> Gentoo BSD, etcetera should be reasonable, but what about "the Gentoo
> init/runscripts system"?
> Also, where are we on the copyright issue? Last I heard there was a
> tentative document being put forward, and I suggested that we make it
> available for comments from our devs, but I believe that it was not yet
> ready for public scrutiny at that time. Has anything changed there?
> Dostrow, any results from sifting through the various Delaware holding
> companies (or whatever those organizations are called that can act as an
> in-state presence for a corporation)?
I am awaiting literature from the few I selected...they are all pretty
much the same but some looked more seedy then others (just a general
feeling from the various websites). I also sent out a letter asking for
any bad stuff about the few I chose to Delaware's Better Business
Bureau. Once I get the stuff in the mail and I see what they have got
I'll send a note to the foundation.
The incorporation itself is going to cost somewhere between $200 and
$300 depending on what options we choose...with 1/3 to 1/2 of that cost
recurring every year. Some of these companies also offer other services
that I think we most likely don't need but would also add to the cost.
These are things like shared office space for corporate meetings and
> Am I currently holding things up where shifting our banking to BofA is
> concerned? If so, please let me know, and I'll do my best to get that
> We just received our first $500 check, by the way. I haven't sent it
> off to Netbank yet, but I'll get that done shortly.
> We're currently running with the "proposed bylaws", but they've never
> been confirmed. Do we want a general, foundation-wide vote on accepting
> them? If so, does anybody want to propose changes first?
I'd like to see this put to a vote yes...I'm pretty comfortable with the
wording but I'd like the lawyers to give it a once-over if they haven't
> Okay, that's my thoughts for the day.
Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
email@example.com mailing list