From: Fernando B <boaglio@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user-br@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user-br] BeBop Linux Released
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 15:18:22
1 Uma distro baseada no Gentoo feita em Curitiba!
2
3 Sent to you by Fernando B via Google Reader: BeBop Linux Released via
4 Funtoo by Daniel Robbins by Daniel Robbins on 10/13/08
5 Marlon Cabrera Oliveira has released BeBop Linux, a customized set of
6 amd64 stage tarballs based on the Funtoo stage tarballs. Here’s some
7 info on his project – some specs, a screenshot, and a short interview
8 below.
9
10 First, the technical details. There are two versions: a basic system
11 version and a startkde version, featuring:
12
13 - built with Funtoo Amd64 stage3
14 - gcc version 4.3.1 (Gentoo 4.3.1-r1 p1.1)
15 - glibc 2.8_p20080602
16 - binutils 2.18-r3
17 - LDFLAGS=”-Wl,–hash-style=both”
18 - baselayout 2
19 - OpenRC
20 - Documentation: Installation Guide
23 Now – the interview. Tell us a little about yourself.
24
25 My name is Marlon Cabrera Oliveira. I live in Curitiba, State of
26 Parana, Brazil with my wife Josiane and soon with my first son
27 Fernando. I work as Security Analyst in a Financial Company and I use
28 Linux since 1998 in 2004 I moved to Gentoo, after using many distros.
29
30 What is BeBop, exactly?
31
32 Basically the BeBop Stage4 is the result of my personal experience with
33 custom Gentoo installs. There are two versions: a basic system and a
34 minimal KDE system. Both were built for the amd64 platform. The main
35 idea is use a up-to-date toolchain (gcc, glibc, binutils..) with a
36 stable branch, like Bob P did with "Stage 1/3 Installation Method".
37
38 What made you decide to create it?
39
40 The goal is provide a powerful, optimized, reliable and stable
41 Gentoo(Funtoo) system, for the brave :). Another point is that BeBop
42 Stage4 tarballs can save a lot of time. On the startkde version for
43 example, users just need to emerge their favorite "desktop" programs.
44 So I believe that BeBop Stage4 tarballs are a fun (and fast) install
45 method and a nice desktop system as well.
51 Very Cool, Marlon – congratulations on the release of BeBop! Marlon has
52 written an installation guide for BeBop as well.
53
54 Things you can do from here:
55 - Subscribe to Funtoo by Daniel Robbins using Google Reader
56 - Get started using Google Reader to easily keep up with all your
57 favorite sites