From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NetworkManager and/or WICD
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 04:17:59
1 On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 21:52 -0500, Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > Does anyone have any experience getting either NetworkManager or WICD to
3 > work properly under Gentoo?
4
5 NetworkManager, yes. I just started using it recently.
6
7 > When I attempt to use either of those
8 > utilities to get onto my wireless network, the NIC refuses to stay
9 > connected to the base station for more than a few seconds at a time.
10 > Instead, it continually disassociates and deauthenticates, only for
11 > nm/wicd to hop right back on. However, if I manually configure
12 > wpa_supplicant for a given SSID and start it via the init script
13 > directly, I don't have any such problems.
14
15 Have you stopped your net.wlan0 script? Also remove it from the default
16 runlevel, and set "rc_hotplug="!net.wlan0 !net.eth0" in /etc/rc.conf (if
17 you're using openrc).
18
19 > Additionally, I can't get either applet to actually save settings (like
20 > known networks, passwords, etc.) which means that I'm continually
21 > interrupted by a prompt for the wireless password.
22
23 Do you have seahorse (gnome)? Depending on how it's setup, you should
24 only have to provide the master password once for nm to access all your
25 keys.
26
27 > What I'm really looking for is a graphical utility that will let me
28 > connect to specific newly-detected wireless networks without having to
29 > edit the WPA configuration and restart it; NetworkManager and WICD seem
30 > to be the most popular. Any other suggestions would also be welcome.
31
32 never tried WICD. nm (and nm-applet) ftw!
38 Mad, adj.:
39 Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence ...
40 -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"