From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] RUBYOPT="-rauto_gem"
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 23:02:29
1 Hi all,
2
3 The dev-ruby/rubygems ebuild adds "-rauto_gem" to the global RUBYOPT.
4 This breaks my own scripts so I have removed it from /etc/env.d. So
5 far, so good.
6
7 I just tried upgrading dev-ruby/json and it failed because I did not
8 have RUBYOPT set. Obviously, the "fix" was easy but now I'm wondering
9 ... is this really the best approach?
10
11 It does not seem like a good idea that the rubygems ebuild sets
12 RUBYOPT and subsequent (Ruby Gems related) emerges break without it.
13 Would it not be simpler and more reliable if ebuilds that need it
14 simply execute "export RUBYOPT=..." prior to running? Why does it have
15 to be in the global environment, forcing it on every user?
16
17 If there is a requirement for this to be in the global environment,
18 what is the consequence of unsetting RUBYOPT in my own .bashrc (or
19 similar)? Is that "safe"? Or does that break something that I simply
20 haven't noticed yet?
21
22 Cheers,
23 Hilco