From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating a wireless router
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 20:56:10
1 On 18 Jul 2008, at 17:10, Jason Carson wrote:
2
3 > Yeah, I read the the HOWTO WAP but I am confused. It said to go to
4 > another
5 > article when using MADWIFI which told be to use the command...
6 >
7 > ifconfig ath0 down
8 > wlanconfig ath0 destroy
9 > wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode ap
10
11 Right. I didn't see that when reading the HOWTO today, but it is the
12 same command as I gave in my message.
13
14 > Which I did, but now when I try to startup net.ath0 I get the
15 > following...
16 >
17 > penguin init.d # /etc/init.d/net.ath0 start
18 > * Starting ath0
19 > * Starting wpa_supplicant on ath0 ...
20 > ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Invalid argument
21 > Could not configure driver to use managed mode [ ok ]
22 > * Starting wpa_cli on ath0 ... [ ok ]
23 > * Backgrounding ...
24 >
25 > This..
26 >
27 > ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Invalid argument
28 > Could not configure driver to use managed mode [ ok ]
29 >
30 > ...was not there before, what do I do?
31
32 Give fuller information.
33
34 What does `dmesg` say?
35 What does /var/log/messages (or whatever) say?
36 What do wpa-supplicant logs say?
37
38 I believe it's possible to compile wpa-supplicant with / without
39 madwifi support, so you should check that. I'd also imagine it might
40 be possible to compile madwifi with or without mastermode support, so
41 you may need show that relevant kernel options have been compiled.
42
43 I believe that "ioctl" errors are generally associated with trying to
44 tell hardware to do stuff it can't do. So drivers may be the cause
45 here and I would certainly expect `dmesg` to be more verbose.
46
47 I would STRONGLY advise you to get the access-point working in master
48 mode UNENCRYPTED before continuing to WEP or WPA configuration.
49 Making *incremental* changes help isolate the problem.
50
51 Finally, unlike some, I have no objection to top-posting. What pisses
52 me off immensely is *changing* the quoting-method of the thread. If
53 you are the first person to reply to a post then by all means top-
54 post; subsequent replies top-posted may be logical and readable. But
55 if someone has replied by bottom-posting then top-posting breaks the
56 continuity of the message. I have to read one level of quoting at the
57 top of the message and another level at the bottom. Leaving aside any
58 other debates about top- versus bottom-posting this does not make any
59 sense AT ALL. Please do not do it!
60
61 Stroller.
64 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list