From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: When ls command fails but only on $HOME
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:52:46
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
4 [...]
5
6 >> >
7 >> > What shell are you using?
8 >> > What is the output of "echo $HOME"?
9 >>
10 >> My shell is xterm... and was just updated to:
11 >> Wed Oct 27 10:15:06 2010 >>> x11-terms/xterm-262
12 >
13 > That's the terminal.
14 >
15 > What shell do you use/
18 Sorry... still asleep... bash-4.1_p9
21 Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU> writes:
22
23 [...]
24
25 > Before we go further, when you said `ls' will not complete against
26 > $HOME, which of the following scenario did you mean?
27 >
28 > a) you typed `ls $HOME' as a user (the one I think Alan thinks you
29 > mean)
30 > b) you type `ls' while in your home directory (/home/reader)
31 > c) you typed `ls /home/reader' ?
32
33 All three of those produce the same effect. Also if run from root
34 shell against my users home `# ls /home/reader'
35
36 The command just hangs there as described.
37
38 However, as indicated earlier... my user or root can run `ls' against
39 any other directory like normal.
40
41 ls /etc
42
43 Shows the content of /etc
44
45 ls /home/reader
46
47 Hangs eternally.
48
49 Also, as mentioned, I can view /home/reader with emacs in dired
50 (directory) mode, Which oddly enough uses ls and ls switches for that
51 display far as I know.
52
53 However, vim will not display /home/reader... and
54 hangs eternally... requiring the shell to be killed.
55
56 Viewing $HOME with emacs shows nothing untoward that I see. I thought
57 maybe I'd somehow acquired thousands of files and `ls' was just taking
58 forever to display the list... but no... nothing unusual in $HOME.