From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] A suggestion for bacula
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:54:10
1 I've installed bacula from portage ( bacula-1.36.3-r2.ebuild) and
2 found virtually no documentation with it other than one thin README
3 and some release notes. Its not as if the documentaion is not
4 available. There is quite a large manual for it.
5
6 But worse is that the gentoo install has removed things so that even
7 the available manual doesn't work for a gentoo user.
8
9 For example:
10 In the online manual: http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Contents.html
11
12 In the section on `Running a job' a gentoo user will not get the right
13 results because the bacula developers have expected there to be some
14 of the install of bacula files available for testing.
15
16 Bacula goes looking for them in /var/tmp/**bacula* and of course they
17 are long gone.
18
19 So a gentoo user will end up with nothing backed up and wondering what
20 they did wrong. Especially if they don't notice the give away
21 address, and it isn't that obvious because `bconsole' output is pretty
22 primitive and it will not be on the screen long.
23
24 It also means the restore part is a non starter too since nothing got
25 backed up.
26
27 Apparently someone maybe me needs to go thru the bacula ebuilds and
28 make them a little more like what bacula devel people expect. Or fix
29 it so it works for us.
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list