From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is KDE part of the system set?
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:14:30
1 On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 7:21 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 07:03:06 -0600, Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> I just wonder if the devs have noticed how much this has grown when
9 >>> packages with X flags are included in the system set?.  Would Gnome do
10 >>> the same?  What about other GUI's?
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> What does it matter? They are only dependencies of @system, but they will
14 >> also be dependencies of @world, because you have emerged kde-meta, so
15 >> either way they would be on your system.
16 >>
17 >> There is nothing wrong with your system, it is doing exactly what you
18 >> told it to with your USE flags, and the kde flag is not the culprit
19 >> anyway as emerge -ep @system doesn't bring in any KDE stuff here.
23 > I was always under the impression that @system was supposed to be a limited
24 > set of packages to build, including dependencies.  For me, if I have a
25 > issue, I usually start with emerge -e system to see if it helps.  Since
26 > there is some KDE stuff in there, that makes it build packages that I most
27 > likely don't need to be rebuilt.  To me, KDE is not a system package.
28 >
29 > It is doing what it is told but it is also doing things that it didn't use
30 > to do even when told the same as it is being told now.  It wasn't to long
31 > ago that system was about 150 packages and didn't take that long to
32 > recompile.  Now it is over 400.  If this continues, the difference between
33 > system and world is going to be small.
34 >
35 > It may not be broke but it seems the system set is growing pretty quick.
36 >
37 > Dale
38
39 Dale,
40 As Neil states, it has a lot to do with what you told the machine to do.
41
42 I have a new, very clean, stable (not ~amd64) laptop using the kde
43 profile. emerge -ep @system says 191 packages and I'm writing this
44 response from that machine inside KDE so it has to be something else
45 in your case.
46
47 I posted something a couple of years ago about using -java in
48 make.conf because I found with +java I got almost twice as many
49 packages in @system. (Except it wasn't @system at the time) I started
50 putting java flags in package.use and got things to work the way I
51 wanted - easy to rebuild @system, java on the packages I really wanted
52 java support. I suspect what you are seeing is far more in that vein
53 than anything else.
54
55 Good luck,
56 Mark