From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gummiboot -> efibootmgr
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 20:01:09
1 On Tuesday 23 Aug 2016 15:06:03 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 23 Aug 2016 08:21:36 Michael Mol wrote:
3 > > If you're not frequently jumping to a non-default boot environment, it's
4 > > fine.
5 >
6 > That's my problem: I do often want to start a minimal system. As I said
7 > before not far from here, any time a substantial update is needed,
8 > especially if it involves more than odd bits of KDE, I first emerge -B, then
9 > boot into the minimal run level and emerge -K. That way I don't find myself
10 > having to flip the BRS because of a half-dead desktop at the end of the
11 > update. Or else I'll do the whole emerge in the minimal run level.
12
13 This is rather rare event for me running stable arch, but in any case, a fall
14 back desktop would address this problem, yes?
17 > Progress will keep on insisting on being made - hah! Maybe it's time I
18 > reviewed my whole modus operandi and ditched most of the flexibility I've
19 > developed over the years.
20
21 I have built an UEFI system with no initramfs (I don't need it), or systemd (I
22 don't want it), or any assisting boot manager. I have been happily using the
23 EFI kernel stub and on the rare occasion I need to boot an alternative kernel
24 I press F2 (or whatever it is) to get into BIOS and shift the boot order of
25 the kernels I have stashed in /boot/EFI/BOOT/. If the need has arisen to use
26 a different kernel before I (re)boot, then I can also change the kernels' boot
27 order using efibootmgr from a terminal. This has been going on for the last
28 two years or so without any complaints from the users, or myself. The only
29 drawback is I can't boot sysrescuecd ISO straight off the boot menu without
30 grub2 and friends. Again, fingers X, this is quite a rare occasion for this
31 particular box.
32
33 BTW, have you had a look at rEFInd? In the absence of Gummiboot you may
34 fulfils your needs.
37 Regards,
38 Mick