From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] executing commands on lots of servers at once
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 18:59:26
1 On Thursday 29 October 2009 20:36:27 James wrote:
2 > I have a cluster of Gentoo boxes I'd like to update all at once, along
3 > with emerging specific packages to the servers simultaneously.
4 >
5 > Does anyone have any experience(s) with a good utility for doing this?
6 > I've seen a few scripts online for accomplishing this but I'm not sure
7 > how these scripts would handle the large amount of output that emerge
8 > generates from all the servers simultaneously.
9 >
10 > Thoughts / ideas appreciated.
13 I thought we answered this for you two days ago?
14
15 Put the same world and config on every machine, and build everything on one
16 host called the binhost.
17
18 emerge -k on every machine will pull binary packages from the binhost. This is
19 identical to working with say Ubuntu, except that it's not a maintainer
20 building packages and putting them on a remote repo, it's you doing it and
21 putting the packages on a machine on your local network.
22
23 clusterssh will let you log into many machines at once and run emerge -avuND
24 world everywhere
27 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com