From: Mark Kirkwood <markir@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Backups
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 00:42:29
1 Francesco Talamona wrote:
2 > Yes, please.
3 > I'm not completely new to dump, but I'd like to read about a complete
4 > dump-backup solution.
5 >
6 > Ciao
7 > Francesco
11 Well - its not complete by any stretch of the imagination... but the
12 attached (hopefully not striped off by the mailing list software) is a
13 very brief discussion of how to do a minimal backup/restore using
14 xfsdump. Note that user data is *not* explicitly covered - even tho
15 there is no reason it cannot be backed up this way too! In addition it
16 does not cover incremental or cumulative backup variations - again no
17 reason why this cannot be used, but for a quick and simple *system*
18 restore, I find using only full (i.e level 0) dumps helps avoid admin
19 (i.e me making) mistakes.
20
21 It's worth noting that the essential logic is simply:
22 - dump system filesystems
23 - save xfsrestore binaries as a package
24
25 - boot livecd
26 - install xfsrestore binaries somewhere
27 - restore dumps

backup.notes text/plain