From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] jabberd2 + muc
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 23:07:03
1 On 19/09/2012 23:50, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Matt Harrison
3 > <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi list,
5 >>
6 >> I know this isn't really in the remit of the list but I'm hoping there
7 >> is an expert lurking here somewhere. Does anyone have experience setting
8 >> up Jabber, especially with mu-conference?
9 >>
10 >> I'm trying to set it up for some colleagues but I'm running into a lack
11 >> of documentation, overly complicated configurations and a seemingly dead
12 >> project with mu-conference.
13 >>
14 >> The packages are still alive and well in portage, yet the site and
15 >> mailing list haven't been touched for some years.
16 >>
17 >> Does anyone know of an alternative text chat system with multi-user room
18 >> facilities? It needs to be separate from mainstream networks such as MSN
19 >> etc, have good ACL capabilities and must support SSL.
20 >>
21 >> Not really sure what to look at next, and after about 6 hours of
22 >> fighting with jabberd2 and muc, I'm about ready to give up with it.
23 >
24 > Of all the XMPP daemons, ejabberd has the best reputation. jabberd14,
25 > according to recent traffic on the -dev list, may be on its way out
26 > due to lack of a maintainer, so I wouldn't invest time into setting
27 > that up right now.
30 Thanks for the reply,
31
32 I did try ejabberd very briefly but it failed to start without giving
33 anything useful in the log. And I did follow the setup at the end of the
34 ebuild :)
35
36 I think it's just getting late so I'll probably try it again after some
37 rest. By the looks of it though, I'd still need a MU implementation, and
38 that doesn't seem easy to find.
39
40 thanks