From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] superblock write time in future (UTC vs localtime)
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 17:27:08
1 In aug 06 bug 142850 was opened. The symptom is the boot message
2
3 /dev/hda6: Superblock last write time is in the future. FIXED.
4
5 >From the bug report and followups, I gather that early in the boot
6 sequence the system believes the hwclock is in UTC and hence for those
7 of us using localtime to dual boot windows, we have this problem.
8
9 Some workarounds have been proposed such as having the clock
10 initscript precede checkroot or "adding the right number of seconds in
11 the kernel". Alternatively one could learn to "live with" the warning
12 printed above.
13
14 I assume a number of you use local time not UTC and wonder how you are
15 dealing with this problem.
16
17 Since I boot windows *very* rarely, I could switch to UTC and repair
18 the damage after every windows boot.
19
20 thanks,
21 allan