From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't get a DVD to burn.
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:12:47
1 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 3/30/2010 1:00 PM, Dale wrote:
5 >> status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
6 >> Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 73 03 00 00
7 >> Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
8 >> Sense Code: 0x73 Qual 0x03 (power calibration area error) Fru 0x0
9 >> Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
10 >>
11 > This part is claiming that your burner was unable to figure out what the
12 > correct power level is for writing to the media. This is entirely
13 > controlled in hardware, so there is no legitimate reason why your
14 > version of cdrecord should have any effect. It is almost always caused by:
15 >
16 > * Bad media
17 > * Bad hardware
18 > * Insufficient power supply
19 >
20 > You've basically eliminated #1 by using the same media successfully, and
21 > #3 isn't the kind of thing that just crops up, so I suspect your
22 > recorder is starting to fail. (It could be as simple as a dirty lens).
23 > The only question is why older versions of cdrecord continue to work.
24 >
25 > Can you post the output from a successful run on the same ISO as this?
26 > It would be helpful to see if cdrecord is using different settings for
27 > the different versions. In particular, if it defaulted to a lower burn
28 > speed, or didn't enable BURNFREE by default, those may change the power
29 > requirements.
30 >
31 > --K
34 I see your points but it just finished burning about 6 more very full
35 DVDs with not one single error. They burned with no prompts other than
36 the usual things it does to confirm what I am doing, such as overwriting
37 a DVD with data on it. Since it was failing basically every time
38 before and has not failed since downgrading cdrtools, it appears not to
39 be hardware but a software issue. I guess I could install the newer
40 version of cdrtools and see if it fails again. If it does, then it is
41 software. If not, then I'm not sure what to think really. Well, I
42 think I will switch back to this version of cdrtools since it works. ;-)
43
44 Since I deleted the old backups, I would have to create a new set tho. I
45 remove them as I burn them since it sort of fills that partition up
46 pretty quick. I tend to forget to delete them if I don't do it at the
47 time.
48
49 Dale
50