From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dracut and UUID's
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 02:24:42
1 On 17/2/19 10:08 am, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 8:48 PM Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3 >> I have cloned a gentoo image for a raspberry pi to another sdcard.
4 >> It fails to boot because the storage uuid's have changed and dracut has
5 >> the previous uuid's stored internally. Is there a way around this
6 >> without changing the new storage's uuids back to match the original (its
7 >> bad practise to duplicate uuids) or using an original rpi kerneal and
8 >> rebuild the custom one?
9 > Are you passing root=UUID=xyz on the command line? Also, do you have
10 > the correct UUID in /etc/fstab?
11 >
12 > Dracut does save a snapshot of fstab internally, but I think it should
13 > work if passed the UUID on the command line. You do want the real
14 > /etc/fstab to have the correct UUID, because after dracut mounts root
15 > it checks fstab and remounts root with any options in case its
16 > internal copy is stale. If the fstab on the hard drive is incorrect
17 > that could lead it astray.
18 >
19 > If it isn't breaking to a shell you can force it to with a command
20 > line option, and then from there just mount root yourself on /sysroot,
21 > and exit the shell, and then it should boot. Another option is to
22 > just use it as a rescue image and just mount root on /sysroot and then
23 > just chroot into it, and now you're basically at a semi-working
24 > system. You could easily rebuild dracut from there. Or you can just
25 > boot from a rescue disk and regenerate dracut.
26 >
27 > But, I suspect just editing your command line in grub will do the
28 > trick if /etc/fstab on the hard drive is good.
29 >
30 Hi Rich, no grub! A rpi uses a custom loader (apparently the GPU starts
31 the boot process).  I'll investigate if it can passthrough a UUID.
32 Looks like next stop is the pi forums, but most use their kernel, not a
33 custom one.
36 BillK