From: wireless@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happened to Qt 5?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 16:47:19
1 On 05/27/14 00:40, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Wasn't it supposed to hit portage a long time ago? Any news? There's
3 > zero information on the http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/qt site.
6 I run lxde on one desktop; and my experimental results are nothing short
7 of fabulous. A while back they (LXDE and razor-qt projects) decided to
8 merge and support QT5. [1] If you have a spare desktop, you might want
9 to experiment with QT5 via LXDE-QT [2].
12 I have not inquired when "LXDE-QT" known also as LXQT will formerly
13 appear in portage; I can't remember where I read rumblings about it.
14 I have just now looked for an overlay [3].
15
16 I do like the new (old_school?) approach of LXde and it's resource
17 footprint is very, very small. qt is a fine piece of work; I have
18 issues with the KDE "vision" and LXQT seems to be reading my mind
19 on what a gui environment should and should not do, imho.
20
21 Lightweight X means it could and should run in many places, easily and
22 securely, like in a VM environment, tablets, etc etc.
25 hth,
26 James
29 [1] http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Migrate_from_GTK%2B_to_Qt
30