From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dell Precision Workstation Overheating
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 12:21:23
1 On Friday, 20 April 2018 12:55:13 BST Corbin Bird wrote:
2 > Oak Ridge National Laboratory uses these processors ( Rhea Cluster ) and
3 > has numerous heat failures.
4 >
5 > Due to poor cooling ... surprised?
6 >
7 > The cooling is not working right. Something is still wrong.
8 >
9 > On 04/19/2018 09:33 PM, R0b0t1 wrote:
10 > > Dell Precision T7600, two 16 thread Xeons, 192GB of RAM, two Quadro
11 > > cards and a Tesla card.
12 > >
13 > > The system is a few years old at this point. Old enough that the
14 > > thermal compound could have hardened, which is why I replaced it.
15
16 If the problem started suddenly, rather than getting progressively worse over
17 time, it may have something to do with kernel drivers, or some change in
18 firmware.
19
20 If the cause is mechanical, I'd also suggest checking the heat sink contact
21 surface. Some heat sinks are poorly manufactured and require flattening with
22 wet 'n dry sandpaper to get a flat enough surface and improve their contact
23 with the CPU. I've seen 15°C improvement in a Zalman CPU cooler after excess
24 metal was removed from copper pipes, which were manufactured proud. Hardcore
25 O/C's flatten the CPU too, but I'd avoid anything as radical because it can go
26 badly wrong if you remove more than the surface varnish from the chip.
27
28 In the interim, opening the side panel may also help in hot weather.
31 Regards,
32 Mick