From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo & the Real-Time kernel
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 04:01:33
1 > It's the only kernel I've used in years. In fact I've never run
2 > gentoo-sources for any reason other than installation. With my
3 > HDSP9652 I can run sub-1 mS delays consistently.
4 >
5 > You'll find the real-time kernel in the pro-audio overlay as
6 > 'rt-sources'. You might consider joining the pro-audio overlay email
7 > list to get questions answered about configuration, not that they
8 > cannot be answered here but pretty much everyone there is running it
9 > exclusively.
10 >
11 > Note that the leading edge rt-sources kernel does tend to be a bit
12 > behind the mainline kernel so you'll want to be a bit more careful
13 > with things like closed source video drivers and the like. While not
14 > so bad now there have been times in the past where the nvidia driver
15 > did cause real-time problems. (Called 'xruns' in the audio world due
16 > to the way Jack reports these problems.) I tend to run the Open source
17 > video drivers to simply reduce the number of problems I might run into
18 > but many, many people run both the ATI and nvidia closed source
19 > drivers without any problems.
20 >
21 > Have fun,
22 > Mark
23
24 Thanks Mark, I'm going to join that list.
25
26 - Grant
29 >> Has anyone tried the Real-Time kernel with Gentoo?
30 >>
31 >> http://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
32 >>
33 >> Does anyone know if there are RT sources in an overlay anywhere?
34 >>
35 >> - Grant