From: Adam Carter <Adam.Carter@×××××××××.au>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] upgrading from kernel 2.6.24-rc6 to latest kernel
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 03:31:09
1 > My Gentoo laptop is a Macbook Pro SantaRosa (late 2007, probably
2 > MA896LL/A , following wikipedia). Since I use it for work I've always
3 > been quite conservative with it... it is an x86 machine and I upgrade
4 > things only after having read things here and there on the ML and
5 > possibly elsewhere (Still have to upgrade xorg, for example,
6 > will do it
7 > soon).
8 >
9 > The oldest piece I haven't touched is the kernel. It is 2.6.24-rc6
10 > vanilla-sources, which were the first mostly working with the
11 > laptop... and never touched since.
12 >
13 > Now I want to ask the list:
14 > 1) Does anyone have a recent kernel config for this kind of machine?
15
16 Just copy your .config file to the new kernel source directory and run "make oldconfig". This runs through the old config file and prompts you to select what you want for the new options.
17
18 > 2) What are the caveats and pitfalls I should be aware of
19 > when upgrading to latest kernel? I confess that reading CHANGELOGs didn't help me too
20 > much, quite confusing.
21
22 You can keep both kernels and just use the bootloader to select which one to boot into. So if your new kernel doesn't work just reboot and use your old kernel again until you can work out whats wrong with the new one.
23
24 The biggest risk is that there are two ATA options one names disks sdX the other hdX. If you're already using sdX in your /etc/fstab then you have no problems. If not, and you change options you'll need to change your bootloader and fstab, and if you have a problem you'll have to boot from cdrom to fix that.
25
26 > Also, I wonder if portage's madwifi now supports the Macbook Pro
27 > chipset... I had to use SVN one at the time.
28
29 The drivers might be in the kernel now. I was using madwifi-ng and changed to the ath5k driver at around 2.6.26 or 27.