From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-sources : stable versions
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 01:33:57
1 On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 8:58 PM Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Does anyone know why the latest stable version of Gentoo-sources is 4.9.xx ?
4 > I installed 4.9.16 , which I continue to use, on 2017-04-06 .
5 > The tree contains versions of 4.14 4.16 4.17 , but all are still testing.
8 I believe that some had been complaining about stability issues with
9 4.14, but personally I've been fine with it, and since I have a Ryzen
10 CPU I want something that has the SMT support enabled.
11
12 4.9 is a longterm series, but the current upstream release is 4.9.110,
13 and the Gentoo stable release is 4.9.95, so you seem to be pretty far
14 behind. From a security standpoint a /recent/ 4.9 kernel should be
15 fine.
16
17 The gentoo patches do sometimes fix things and their curation might
18 help you avoid some issues, but personally I tend to just use my own
19 upstream kernels. I'm following the 4.14 longterm and generally
20 update within a few days of any release. That said, I have been
21 burned by the odd regression (a build last week actually was rebooting
22 on me, which usually isn't something I have trouble with). Usually I
23 migrate to a new longterm after it has been out for a few months, and
24 only if it has zfs support.
25
26 I don't know what the Gentoo plans are for 4.14 - I know they've been
27 avoiding it for a while. I'm not sure if they ever plan to move to
28 it, or if they're just hoping to skip it entirely. I think we should
29 be getting a new longterm sometime in the next few months.
32 Rich