From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xterms --featureRICH --suggestions?
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 01:21:42
1 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I have my lxde/openbox environment mostly setup. One thing I miss
4 > is feature rich tabbed terminal session.
5
6 I suggest that you try tmux (or screen) - this is far superiour to
7 multitab since you can easily also put it to the background or
8 access it remotely.
9 My default zsh login files start a tmux session automatically
10 (so did my previous bash login files with screen, but I do not
11 use bash anymore for an interactive shell).
12
13 > the tabs where customizable to show current dir or rename manually.
14 > When I would "ssh" into a remote system, the IP address was prominently
15 > displayed in the tab header; essential for managing tons of remote
16 > devices.
17
18 This is all a question of setting an appropriate prompt which also
19 sets the terminal title correspondingly. I suggest that you
20 have a look at e.g. app-shells/set_prompt from the mv overlay.
21
22 > One last problem is my lxtermnal session do not remember their previous
23 > screen location or size (geometry)
24
25 Probably for every terminal program there are corresponding Xresources.
26 For instance, for xterm, I have set
27 XTerm.VT100.Geometry: 80x25
28 Alternatively you can specify -geometry on the command line.
29 Probably it is possible to write something which saves the current
30 geometry somewhere. I find this always disturbing, and one of my
31 first configuration fixes in KDE (when I was still using it)
32 had always been to turn off this misfeature...
33
34 > I would encourage any and all without tons of
35 > free ram, to ditch KDE (dunno about gnome).......
36
37 ++