From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How does Portage prioritze emerges in emerge world?
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 22:17:22
1 On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 18:47:38 +0100, Holly Bostick wrote:
2
3 > 1) disable the symlink USE flag and manage the redirect manually, which
4 > would enable me to download any kernel at any time without concern for
5 > whether a kernel module was upgrading in the same operation; or
6
7 That's one approach. In some ways it is the easiest, especially if you
8 already have a script that deals with copying the config, running
9 make oldconfig and mounting /boot to avoid forgetting this later. The
10 route I chose was to emerge the kernel sources first when they show up in
11 emerge -u world. Then compile and install the new kernel before rebooting
12 and running emerge world again. Thinking about it, removing the symlink
13 USE flag may be easier.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 Bus: (n.) a connector you plug money into, something like a slot machine.