From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice/best practices for a new Gentoo installation
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 19:22:34
1 On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:54:13AM -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > - better partitioning scheme than my current root, boot, home (need
3 > portage on its own, maybe /var as well?)
4
5 /var if you are worried about log files piling up. I don't put portage
6 on its own, but I use reiserfs for /
7
8 > - some kind of small linux emergency/recovery partition? equivalent to
9 > a liveCD maybe.
10
11 Isn't that what busybox is for?
12
13 > - best filesystem for portage? something compressed or with small
14 > cluster size maybe.
15
16 Reiserfs. That's more because of the tail-packing then anything else.
17
18 > - omit/reduce number of reserved-for-root blocks on partitions where
19 > it's not necessary.
20
21 Yep. On a 200G drive, 10% is 20G: that's 4 movies!
22
23 > Or any other tips that apply to things which are difficult to change
24 > once the system is in use.
25
26 Pay attention to your make.conf? Make sure you get CHOST right.
27 If you are dealing with unfamiliar options in the kernel, always start
28 at the bare minimum and make sure you keep a working copy around.
29
30 W
31 --
32 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
33 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
34 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton