From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
Subject: [gentoo-user] coax spdif sound output on Intel 82801EB/ER audio
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:34:29
1 Hi all,
2
3 I used to (rarely) use the coax output on my Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop
4 to feed into my hifi. Now that I watch a lot more movies / tv from my
5 laptop, I wanted to get it going again, but I no longer get any output
6 from the coax out.
7
8 Investigating google a bit, I found that this works with mplayer:
9
10 mplayer -ao alsa:device=spdif -srate 48000 blah.mp3
11
12 giving me crystal clear audio (I had to mute it to make sure there
13 wasn't someone in my house, cause the sound effects on the audio track
14 were so realistic!)
15
16 how do I get it to work by "Default" for everything alsa? (gnome,
17 rhythmbox, etc)
18
19 I tried playing around with all the options I could see in
20 gnome-volume-control, no luck.
21
22 google suggested setting IEC958 playback to 0 (yes, zero) which worked
23 for others, but firstly this setting was never saved with
24 gnome-volume-control or even alsamixer, and secondly, it didn't seem to
25 have any effect.
26
27 Unfortunately, I can't tell you anything about my system when it did
28 work like this (it was a while ago), only that it doesn't anymore.
29
30 Here are the specs:
31 Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev
32 02)
33 pci-id 8086:24d5
34
35 suspend2 sources 2.6.17-r5, with alsa built as a module (snd_intel8x0).
36
37 Can anyone shed any light on the issue?
38
39 many thanks,
43 Price's Advice:
44 It's all a game -- play it to have fun.
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list