From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] simple web server with content negotiation feature
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:17:56
1 On Saturday 26 January 2008, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
2 > Hello all.
3 >
4 > I am looking for a web server for my static website in-developing
5 > projects. I just want the basic features and easy-to-configure. However
6 > what I mean "basic" looks a bit different than other people's. I wish
7 > it to be able to do content negotiation (a.k.a. a browser asks for
8 > "my_mom" and gets my_mom.html.zh or my_mom.html.en depending on
9 > preferred language of the browser). I also wish it can handle HTTP 1.1.
10 >
11 > I could not find one. "eix -S negotiation" didn't get me any result.
12 > (on the other hand "aptitude search ~dnegotiation" did suggested me
13 > fnord can do content negotiation, although it's only partially
14 > implemented.)
15 >
16 > My question is:
17 > 1. Can you please suggest some web server that can do content
18 > negotiation, besides apache?
19
20 "negotiation" is not a recognised USE flag:
21
22 # euse -i negotiation
23 global use flags (searching: negotiation)
24 ************************************************************
25 no matching entries found
26
27 local use flags (searching: negotiation)
28 ************************************************************
29 no matching entries found
30
31 therefore I am not sure that any packages in portage use it. (Apache uses the
32 module mod_negotiation which is compiled in by default). Have you looked at
33 www-servers/lighttpd, or www-servers/thttpd?
34
35 > 2. Can you please tell me how do you usually find out if some
36 > of the packages in portage can do content negotiation?
37
38 Sorry, can't help with this. Perhaps others more knowledgeable in the
39 features of different http servers can advise here. I would think that it is
40 a matter of searching in their respective project websites and then reading
41 their documentation for each package under /usr/portage/www-servers/.
42 Alternative, emerge, try it out, unmerge and so on.
43
44 BTW, I am not sure if some PHP scripting would offer this facility to simpler
45 http servers, which do not support it natively like apache.
46
47 HTH.
48 --
49 Regards,