From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia and i/o problem
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 21:15:29
1 On 11/25/2010 06:55 AM, Zhu Sha Zang wrote:
2 > ...
3 > i try to compile some "nice" software like chromium, pyside or openoffice my
4 > system "freeze". I can't do anything like use keyboard, mouse or switch betwenn
5 > windows. How can i find the motive to this strange (???)
6
7 Does the freeze always happen in the same place while compiling those packages?
8
9 If not, I would suspect hardware problems, e.g. overheating due to poor ventilation
10 of the CPU, or memory chips that are going bad.
11
12 When I have random malfunctions like you describe, I open the computer case and spray
13 the dust off of everything using compressed air. If that doesn't fix the problem I
14 run memtest86 overnight to find failing memory chips.
15
16 One of those two steps usually fixes the problem for me.
17
18 Also, you could rule out bugs in the nvidia driver by trying to compile chromium
19 or openoffice from a console terminal (i.e. while X is not running).