From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a couple of baselayout2 problems
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:08:14
1 on Monday 03/30/2009 Alan McKinnon(alan.mckinnon@×××××.com) wrote
2 > On Monday 30 March 2009 12:33:48 Dale wrote:
3 > > John covici wrote:
4 >
5 > > > The other problem is that once in a while a service dies -- named did
6 > > > this -- and it would not let me stop the service and when I tried to
7 > > > restart I got the message that the service was already started and it
8 > > > would not start. How do I tell openrt or whomever that something has
9 > > > already stopped?
10 > > >
11 > > > Any assistance on these would be appreciated.
12 > >
13 > > If something is stopped but init thinks it is still running, try the zap
14 > > option. /etc/init.d/<service> zap
15 > >
16 > > Not sure on the rest. Hope that helps tho.
17 >
18 > His real problem isn't baselayout2 and openrc, it's named.
19 >
20 > named is notorious for crappy stupid behaviour when being stopped and
21 > confusing the init scripts. It happens to me so often that now I tossed out
22 > the init script and do it manually.
23 >
24 > One day when my country's currency is worth something I can afford ans then I
25 > can get rid of named and it's start-up crap forever. It's still the only
26 > service I ever have to use "zap" on
27
28 Thanks, at least I can restart with no difficulties after using zap.
29 Spamd has the opposite behavior, the init script tells me it died when
30 its actually running.
34 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
35 How do
36 you spend it?
37
38 John Covici