From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] webkit-gtk version/slot confusion
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2014 14:39:23
1 I build uzbl (a webkit-based browser) from the git version, but I pull
2 in the dependancies, including webkit-gtk, via portage. A bit of
3 explanation first. uzbl has 2 options...
4 1) webkit-gtk-1.x combined with gtk+-2.x
5 2) webkit-gtk-2.x combined with gtk+-3.x
6
7 To view Youtube and other Flash sites, you need Flash (dohhh). Flash
8 is a gtk2 app, and does not work with gtk3. So I need option 1) above,
9 which I force via a "local.mk" file. I have it working on machine A, so
10 I go to machine B. On machine B, the uzbl git build swears up and down
11 that it can't find webkit-gtk-1.x, and fails. I compare the 2 machines.
12 On machine A, I apparently emerged net-libs/webkit-gtk-1.8.3-r201:2
13 whilst I had emerged net-libs/webkit-gtk-1.8.3-r300:3 on machine B. So
14 I switched machine B over to net-libs/webkit-gtk-1.8.3-r201:2 and uzbl
15 built fine, and works.
16
17 Now for the question... I had always thought that it was the major
18 version number of the ebuild that determined the major version number of
19 the package, not a weird extension attached to the end of the version
20 number of the ebuild. What gives?
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
24 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications