From: Steve <gentoo_sjh@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] A networking question...
Date: Tue, 05 May 2009 20:33:57
1 I've a gentoo box sat behind a firewall - it runs a apache and sshd with
2 holes punched through NAT to allow remote access. It runs DHCP and DNS
3 services for my LAN.
4
5 I would like to run a second instance of apache on a fresh IP address -
6 to simulate a hosted environment supporting https. I need to be able to
7 access my second apache locally by URL on my LAN (which I can map
8 however I chose using my DNS config.) I also need to be able to access
9 this second apache from a remote site (assume gentoo again, for
10 simplicity) over an SSL tunnel - even if the remote server already runs
11 apache doing something else again. It isn't acceptable for the second
12 apache to be accessible publicly. It's also unacceptable
13
14 I'm think I probably want a VPN (or similar) - or maybe some sort of
15 virtual network interface similar to those employed by VMWare for
16 virtualisation... coupled with PPP over my ssh tunnel.
17
18 Can anyone give me any hints - or, ideally, a link to a how-to?
19
20 Thanks...
21
22 Steve