From: Roman Zilka <rzilka@××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge world and doubled portages
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 18:44:16
1 Hi!
2
3 > yesterday I emerged the nvidia-drivers. All went well.
4 > Then I ran 'emerge -NDpvu world' (I set nvidia flag in make.conf) and
5 > found out to have 2 versions of qt (3.3.8-r3 and 4.3.0-r2) and 2
6 > versions og gnupg (1.4.7-r1 and 1.9.21).
7 > So I unmerged gnupg-1.4.7-r1 and ran 'emerge -NDpvu world' again.
8 > gnupg-1.4.7-r1 was listed again with [NS ] instead of the previuos [ R ].
9 >
10 > May someone explain to me why?
11 >
12 > The same for qt. I should have to re-emerge some kde portages. How can I
13 > use qt4 instead of qt3?
14
15 This is quite correct. Having multiple versions of a package installed
16 is often necessary. This is the case. Some of your programs require qt3
17 to function, others require qt4. There are applications not prepared
18 for qt4 at all. When you unmerged one of the qt's, you probably disposed
19 some package(s) of their dependency, so emerge -uD promptly re-emerges
20 the now-missing qt.
21
22 The [ R ] flag means an already-installed package was to be re-emerged.
23 Then you unmerged one such package and [ R ] became [NS ], which means
24 a not-yet-installed package version is about to me emerged. Both qt and
25 gnupg are "slotted" packages here - meaning it's possible to have
26 multiple versions installed at the same time. Slotted - that's the "S"
27 tag in [NS ].
28
29 So by and large, the right thing to do here is let emerge -NDpvu do
30 what it wishes to do and keep both versions of both packages. If you
31 want as many applications as possible to use qt4, adding the "qt4" USE
32 flag may help. May or may not. I don't know what exactly this flag does
33 in all those ebuilds using it.
34
35 -rz
36 --