From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] IPv6 usage patterns (static, DHCPv6, RA, mDNS, ?)
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 15:01:43
1 On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > As you may have gathered from my posts yesterday, I'm working on
4 > adding IPv6 to an embedded device (actually a family of serial device
5 > servers).
6 >
7 > I've got the device working fine with link-local addressing, but I'm
8 > not sure what the next phase should be.
9 >
10 > While some of our customers are asking for IPv6 support, I'm pretty
11 > sure almost none of those asking are actually using IPv6 nor do they
12 > have any plans to do so in the near future.  They're either trying to
13 > satisfy a feature checklist handed down from on high (where somebody
14 > read an airline magazine article about IPv6), or they think that
15 > maybe, someday, somehow, IPv6 might be useful (but they have no idea
16 > when or how).
17 >
18 > It is unheard of for these devices to have a routable address, and
19 > they're often on small networks that have no connectivity to the
20 > outside world at all.  Very occasionally they will be accessed via a
21 > corporate WAN that involves routing betwen multple subnets. But, they
22 > are pretty much never accessed from "The Internet" nor do they access
23 > The Internet.
24 >
25 > The existing devices are used probably half the time with Ethernet MAC
26 > addressing only (no IP).  When they're used with IPv4 it's 99% static
27 > addressing with the other 1% using DHCP.
28 >
29 > It's also probably relevent that the devices doesn't use a DNS server.
30 >
31 > Judging by the lack of support in many apps, I'm assuming people
32 > aren't going to be using IPv6 link-local addressing (though it
33 > corresponds very nicely to our currently common use-case involving MAC
34 > addressing).
35 >
36 > What I'm wondering about is what are the most likely use cases for
37 > IPv6 address configuration?
38 >
39 >  1) Almost all our customers who are using IPv4 use static addressing.
40 >    Do people configure static IPv6 addresses in devices?
41
42 When you enable IPv6 forwarding in the Linux kernel, another
43 /proc/sys/net/ipv6/ node gets tweaked which causes interfaces to stop
44 listening to RAs. Consequentially, Linux machines running as routers
45 tend to get their IPv6 addresses statically configured. With client
46 network nodes, manual configuration of static addresses is very
47 unusual. With network appliances...I don't know. Probably static,
48 except for some cases like printers where common names seem to have
49 good IPv6 support, and pick up addresses from RAs. (For the love of
50 God, people, put a firewall on your gateway. You should be, anyway,
51 but it's more important now.)
52
53 >  2) Is IPv6 router announcement sufficient for some common use cases?
54
55 In a dual-stack environment, yes. Clients can pick up configuration
56 details like DNS from IPv4 DHCP, which works fine for retrieving
57 information about IPv6 hosts' DNS records. Windows machines won't pick
58 up DNS details from RAs (Microsoft wants everyone to go with DHCPv6,
59 so they've dragged their heels there), but it's my understanding that
60 Linux machines can. (I don't know the details. that's something I
61 should probably study before Penguicon.)
62
63 Also, dual-stack environments are the ideal configuration environment;
64 no client network should be *pure* IPv6 at this point.
65
66 >  3) Is DHPCv6 commonly used?
67
68 It's expected that DHCPv6 will be commonly used, particularly in large
69 and/or enterprise environments, as DHCP can push more configuration
70 details than RAs can. Also, stateful address assignment one of very
71 few ways to update DNS based on DHCP client requests.
72
73 >  4) The device doesn't use DNS and doesn't have a hostname, so there's
74 >    nothing to do regarding mDNS, right?
75
76 mDNS is all about other machines being able to find the device. If you
77 want the device to broadcast its location for, e.g. configuration,
78 monitoring or diagnostic purposes, you may care.
79
80 > I think I have to implment someting besides link-local addressing, and
81 > I'm wondering what...
82
83 The ULA approach discussed in the other thread might work well for
84 you. Just make sure you can leave all that configurable for the
85 diligent admin.
86
87 Hm. It occurs to me...if these serial servers have more than one
88 serial port per device, you might consider giving each port its own IP
89 address. You might be able to abuse IPv6 privacy extensions'
90 "temporary addresses" for the purpose, just leaving the addresses
91 not-so-temporary. If I needed a multiport IP-to-serial adapter, that'd
92 be a feature I'd love to have.
95 :wq